Wedding Day

Wedding Day
Enjoy EVERY moment in your wedding gown. You can't stay in it forever...SO UNFAIR!!!!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Alphabet Film List A to D...

Once apon a time or upon a time or in time but not in a galaxy far away at all. In fact in Rhode Island, I used to write alphabet letters with an ex of mine. He was an ex boyfriend. I learned a lot from him...mainly what I didn't want in a boyfriend, but you take away some good stuff too. I took away an appreciation for comic books for one and the graphic novel. I also took away an appreciation for the alphabet letters and lists. I thought I would share that. It is kind of fun and sometimes hard to do an alphabet list.

My alphabet list today is all about film. Film as in movies. So for now forget camera film. I don't think I could do a list on that anyway since it is pretty much obsolete, but for the heck of it...I loved 200 speed. ;)

Without going into a tangent...here is my alphabet list of films that have made an impact on me whether good or bad. I may split it up like A to D. We'll see how long it gets.

A is for: All About Eve

Why did I pick it? First of all, if I were to rate this movie, I would give it 5 stars all the way. The film is about a young actress who insinuates herself into the lives of an older but very popular and talented Broadway actress. The younger actress, Eve is extremely manipulative in the most subtle of ways. In ways that only a woman can be manipulative. The tricks she pulls are slowly becoming obvious to Margo (the stage star) and her friend Karen (Margo's friend and wife to a playwrite who pretty much exclusively works with Margo). Eve works her way up the Broadway food chain by letting everyone believe she is an innocent soul who just is absolutely in awe of her mentor, Margo, but she is cunning and coniving. Lessons get learned...often a little late.

This movie impacted me because the acting was simply so good, I grew to HATE Eve. It was one of those films where I just wanted to shake the wool off of the characters eyes. It also made me aware to not just listen to someone but see their actions too. It was intense, and I watch it whenever I get a chance. I do not own a copy which is surprising, but I do watch it whenever it is on AMC or some other classic film channel. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

All about Eve Movie Poster Pictures, Images and Photos

Another neat tid bit is Marilyn Monroe had one of her early roles in this film. :)

Best Quote from All About Eve (in my opinion):

"Funny business, a woman's career. The things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them when you get back to being a woman" Margo Channing




B: Big

tom hanks Pictures, Images and Photos

This movie was just plain cute. It reminded me to watch what I wished for and to appreciate the time I am in now. It also made me WISH that I could get a job testing toys. How cool would that be? I did live near enough to Hasbro at the time (it is in Rhode Island), and they actually did have testing with real kids. However when Big came out, I was beyond kid age. I don't think they ever would have picked me.

Here is my favorite scene:



C: Caddyshack

Honestly...this movie is just plain silly. There are some parts that I would say are a bit over the top, but this movie cracked me up. Hey...it came out in 1980, and I was about 13. I think it was one of those movies my brother had to drag me along to, because he had the driver's license. :)

CaddyShack Pictures, Images and Photos

My favorite part of Caddyshack:



I just loved that little gopher!!!!


D: Deliverance

Okay, this movie is very hard to handle for me. My parents took me to this movie and apparently they had no idea what the film was about. Neither did I. I was quite young and I remembered the film up to the banjo scene and then I recalled the men walking back from I guess the dock. I believe this movie literally gave me a psychological black out because it portrayed things I did not understand as a small child. I literally recall going to the drive in to see it. That is a solid memory. What I saw wasn't. As an adult of about 30, I saw it again. I called my mom immediately and asked her why they took me to see it. I was stunned. I am not going to go into the content. If you saw it, you know what I am referring to. Why am I sharing this? Because if you have a child think long and hard before you take them along with you to a film. Believe it or not, they may not be able to handle it, and most likely they shouldn't. This is not a movie recommendation. This is a get a babysitter recommendation.

So as not to end this on a creepy note, but again this is film that has impacted me both negative and positive...I am going to end it with a favorite movie commercial. Remember running off to get popcorn and candy while this played on the big screen?




I actually saw this intermission commercial at one of the last drive ins I went to in Massachusetts. I wonder if it is still there. If you are ever in Mass look for the Mendon Drive In. You'll love it. It is obviously seasonal, but what fun!

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Kelly! You're cracking me up! I love the alphabet list idea...but glad you didnt keep the guy too. Ah, lessons learned! (I'm pretty sure camera film is outa here. Too bad, the little containers were pretty handy sometimes.)

So anyway, I have to admit I havent seen the first one. But I'll keep an eye out for it.

I also loved Big. Not sure exactly how many times I've seen it.

Saw Caddyshack again recently (or parts of it...how I seem to see movies these days, in parts) and saw it in a whole new light. As an adult instead of a kid!

Oh. My. Word! Your parents took you to see Deliverance?! That's insane!!! And that they didnt get you out of there when they realized what it was? But then again my parents let us watch stuff that they shouldnt. Horror movies freaked me out big time. Still do.

Looking forward to the rest of the alphabet! Fun idea!!

kalea_kane said...

I was shocked that my parents took me to Deliverance once I saw it again. ICK! I think they just didn't have a clue. I remember when Brokeback Mountain came out, my mom wanted to see it, because it was a cowboy movie. She had no idea what the movie was about. I didn't either at first, not being into cowboy movies. I found out before she did and filled her in before she saw it without knowing the context.

kalea_kane said...

I was shocked that my parents took me to Deliverance once I saw it again. ICK! I think they just didn't have a clue. I remember when Brokeback Mountain came out, my mom wanted to see it, because it was a cowboy movie. She had no idea what the movie was about. I didn't either at first, not being into cowboy movies. I found out before she did and filled her in before she saw it without knowing the context.

Sunny said...

Oh that's too funny! Glad you were able to spare her from that one.