Wedding Day

Wedding Day
Enjoy EVERY moment in your wedding gown. You can't stay in it forever...SO UNFAIR!!!!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Signal - My Review

Because it is October, I am very inspired to watch as many scary movies as I can get my hands on. My sweet husband actually gives in to this impulse of mine which is one of the many reasons I love him. I made a list a while back of some of the movies I wanted to watch. A few I planned to grab through Netflix by watching directly online. Let me tell you...this is one of THE many things I love about Netflix. One of the others is that I can totally watch the television series I like in one fell swoop!

One of my direct to computer watch wishes was The Signal.



The Signal is an independent psychological horror film written and directed by David Bruckner, Dan Bush, Jacob Gentry and produced by Alexander A. Motlagh.

The movie was completed for the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. The movie was completed for the 2007 Sundance Film Festival with a budget of $50,000.



Summary (from Netflix):

When the phones, radios and televisions in the city of Terminus begin to broadcast the same strange signal, the transmission breeds jealousy and hate, turning once-sane people into murderous lunatics. A faithless wife seeks the safety of her lover, while her affected husband hunts for her. David Bruckner, Jacob Gentry and Dan Bush each write and direct an act of this horror tale that was nominated for a John Cassavetes Independent Spirit Award.

My Review:
When I read the description of signal, it immediately appealed to me. It must be the pull of post apocalyptic types of film. I also like an original idea, and I believe that The Signal tells a story in a new and fresh way. Three directors collaborate to tell three different sides of a story. It is frightening, funny and moving all at different times.

The film begins on New Year's Eve when a signal is heading over the television, phone lines, and radios, and this signal brings on crazy results! And by crazy I mean literally crazy. People who hear the signal act in irrational ways and easily excuse violence as reasonable.

The film follows a wife, her lover, and her husband as they each deal with the impact of this nightmarish event. Each segment focuses on each person.

The Signal is surprisingly great for a film with such a small budget. The movie is horror and it is also somewhat a spoof on horror. It is many things in one and it works in each and every moment. The actors all do a great job. The absurdities are handled with absolute grace.

Gore Factor: Pretty significant as people are going crazy, chaos is ensuing and there is plenty of violent death. I have seen worse and usually do not care to see it. I think that it worked for the movie. It is not a slash and gore type of horror film but the blood is present.

To rate or not to rate?

I'd give it 3.5 stars. Maybe 4.

5 comments:

Stormi said...

Glad you liked it. I have thought about watching it but haven't. I might have to give it a try since I have netflix. I love streaming the online watches to my tv through my xbox 360 LOL

Glad you liked my blogs new look I thought it was pretty cool. I had someone design it for me..hehehe My dad drew the little picture at the top. I love my twitter button, its so unique compared to others. :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I hate horror I'll let hubby know Good review!

kalea_kane said...

You can stream it to your tv through your XBOX!!!! We have XBox and Wii. Do you think we can do that?

I definitely love the new look. Tell your dad he did a GREAT job too! Your Twitter button rocks!

:)

Maria said...

Looks interesting, not your average yawn and it's over type for sure.

Pam said...

My daughter and her friends have been looking for a movie to watch on Halloween. I'll let them know about this one!