Wedding Day

Wedding Day
Enjoy EVERY moment in your wedding gown. You can't stay in it forever...SO UNFAIR!!!!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Prepping for Made To Crave & Eating Right

 
2 Timothy 1:7  For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline.



"Made To Crave" by Lysa TerKuerst is about more than just dieting, and to be effective for me, I know that I need to really step it up in the planning department.  I don’t know about you, but one of the biggest mistakes I can make when deciding to make solid eating changes is to not be prepared.  For some reason, I feel like I can just wake up in the morning and decide that I am going to eat right and it is going to work.  I have this great attitude, but when I look around the house and find that really I have nothing to eat because it is all way over the top when it comes to calories, I lose my inspiration almost immediately.


I also can't just remove the "bad stuff" in the house.  It has to be replaced by good options.  I also probably need to learn to sacrifice a little more time when it comes to preparation of food rather than rely on quick fixes.  Here are a few things on my eatin' good shopping list.


Fresh and frozen veggies, lemon (great for salad and water), rice cakes (sometimes I need a crunch-okay a lot of times), raw pecans and walnuts (these really keep me away from peanut butter which I never crave until I am on a diet), and some healthy frozen meals and soups (for those times when I am not terribly motivated to make lunch).


Even with this plan to stock up the cabinets with healthy food, I know that I often will crave certain things.   Here are a few swaps that I found that could help make the difference when it comes to sticking to healthier eating goals, but I am also working on keeping in mind that if for some reason I slip, it doesn't mean all is lost.  I can still get back on track.


Ice Cream - This is something that I can live without IF it isn't in my house, but if it is...I will eventually give in to ice cream's allure.  Instead of having ice cream on hand, keep frozen fruit like strawberries, blueberries and mangoes on hand.  Toss them in the blender with some skim milk for a smoothie or without the milk and make a sorbet.  You can also freeze and blend bananas to make an ice cream substitute with great results according to The Kitchen.


Chips - Rather than indulging in fried up potato chips bake kale chips or zucchini chips from home.  They really are very easy to make an a much lower calorie substitute. This can be really helpful if you are a salty snacker.


Flour Wraps and Hamburger Buns -Instead of flour wraps try green lettuce and Napa cabbage wraps.  I like that I can also use all the lettuce and cabbage this way, because what isn't used in a wrap is used in a salad.  I have also become fond of using green lettuce and Napa cabbage instead of taco shells.  I stay away from using iceberg lettuce for the most part, but they are really firm and work nicely instead of a hamburger bun.


Soda - Now this really isn't usually a big deal for me BUT when I cut it out, I think about it often.  Really the best thing to do is cut it out completely.  But if you really need bubbles go for sparkling water and add some lemon or fruit to it.  I have a Soda Stream, and a little flavored Stevia in the water makes a nice substitute as well.


Pasta - If you have yet to try spaghetti squash, this is the greatest substitute for pasta!  It is so easy to cook and it makes piles of "pasta."


Cheese Puffs - If you really want a snacky snack try Quaker's cheese rice cakes.  They have way less fat than cheese puffs but still have that cheesy and puffy thing going.  They make a great substitute especially when you check out the nutrition information between cheese puffs and the cheese rice cakes.


Don't forget to check back at the blog on Monday where I'll be sharing about my journey through Lysa TerKeurst's book "Made To Crave."  I'd love it if you came along! Learn more about Made To Crave here and download the Introduction here.

No comments: