Wedding Day

Wedding Day
Enjoy EVERY moment in your wedding gown. You can't stay in it forever...SO UNFAIR!!!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Book Review



I picked up Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher about six our eight months ago at Costco. I read it right away, but I chose not to blog my review too quickly.

A Bit About The Book:


Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.


Check out the website: Thirteen Reasons Why

My Review:

"Thirteen Reasons Why" is one of those books that drew me in from the back cover. I really thought the premise was intriguing. It was a compelling but difficult read emotionally. I kept hoping that somehow things would change for Hannah, a girl who I could so easily relate to. I know many girls who have been in Hannah's shoes. I had been there. I think many teenagers can relate to the pain that Hannah went through. I also think that many have probably added a little salt into some wounds here and there. I see this as a story that gives the readers an opportunity to see how seemingly simple happenings can work together for good or not so good.

Seeing how each incident brought Hannah closer to the choice she made is something that I think can be a helpful read for a teen, but more so if shared with an adult who is willing to talk about the issues that come up. I think there are many points that should be discussed as well as alternatives to each reaction and to each action. Also it is important to note that anyone can take their life. No one is immune to stings and barbs.

I definitely got a lot out of this book and though long out of high school, am very glad I read it. This is a book that could really go a long way. I wildly recommend it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting book.

Allie said...

Thanks for the rec! It sounds quite interesting. =)

Pam said...

This does sound like a good book. Teenagers have such a difficult time these days.

Alyce said...

This one has been on my radar for a while, but I know I'll have to be in the right place to be ready to read it.