Wedding Day

Wedding Day
Enjoy EVERY moment in your wedding gown. You can't stay in it forever...SO UNFAIR!!!!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ghost Town - Movie Review






Ghost Town
Release Date September 18, 2008
MPAA Rating PG-13
Directed By David Koepp
Starring Ricky Gervais, Tea Leoni, Greg Kinnear

Synopsis (from the website):
In the romantic comedy "Ghost Town," Bertram Pincus (Ricky Gervais), is a man whose people skills leave much to be desired. When Pincus dies unexpectedly, but is miraculously revived after seven minutes, he wakes up to discover that he now has the annoying ability to see ghosts. Even worse, they all want something from him, particularly Frank Herlihy (Greg Kinnear) who pesters him into breaking up the impending marriage of his widow Gwen (Tea Leoni).




My PRE-Review: Monday was my day off and it was also Labor Day. My husband works in a car dealership (not a salesman) and he thought he was going to have to work. After working the past two Mondays, I was elated to have some sleep-in time. At 9:00 am my hubby woke me up and told me that he got to have Monday off as well. We then proceeded to chill on the couch and watch Ghost Town which happened to be on HBO with plans to go in town for lunch after the film. Just finding a movie I would like to watch on HBO was a secret thrill. Okay...not so much of a secret. I swear we only have HBO because of Entourage. It has good movies, but it seems like they are movies I have already seen, and trust me...I don't hit a lot of movie theaters lately with the economy the way it is.

Okay enough of that...on to my review.

My Review: Do you know how hard it is to write a review while watching men who work for I guess a train company sing "Take My Breath Away"? It is bloody hard. Okay...they are done.

REALLY my REVIEW!!!!

I loved Ghost Town! Ghost Town is absolutely the kind of romantic comedy I can get behind. It is funny without being way over the top. It has romance that is actually believable. Things flow in a manner that is entirely natural. My husband and I have a long standing joke that he is the one who enjoys chick flicks and romance while I am the thriller and horror lover. We both give in to the other in order to get to see our movies. We didn't have to compromise with Ghost Town. It was that good.

Gervais is a gentleman who is self centered and not too interested in the people around him. He is good at his job, but that is it. NO people skills whatsoever. He doesn't even mind that he is so distant from others. When he begins to help Kinnear, his hard edges start to soften. He is awkward but honest and somehow you see the light inside him. He is the unlikeable guy that is somehow totally likeable. You want to see him change completely and find happiness. You want him to open up and believe he can.

You will laugh and you may even get misty eyed. Somehow you will find a story that is unbelievably believable. I loved it. I expected to enjoy Ghost Town. It has great comic timing and a wonderful story line. It also has a depth to it that you do not expect. It was surprising and fresh, and if you have not seen it...really you should.

:)

13 comments:

Grace @ Sandier Pastures said...

Looks like a fun movie to watch! I'll look for this when it comes out.

Bingo said...

Looks like movie night at my house coming up. Please drop by as I have an award for you. Thanks!
http://bookinwithbingo.blogspot.com/2009/09/your-blog-is-so-swank-award.html

Jo-Jo said...

I also enjoyed this movie. Greg Kinnear is one of my favorite actors.

M. C. Pearson said...

I found this movie so HILARIOUS. Just adored it. :-D

Luanne said...

I really liked this one too - but I find Ricky Gervais hilarious, so I like anything he does!

kalea_kane said...

Karen, this movie is sooooo cute! I just loved it. Thank you so much for the award. I'll be posting tomorrow. :) You are soooo kind. Thank you!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!

Kelly :)

kalea_kane said...

Grace, it was surprisingly sweet. You should totally check it out. :)

kalea_kane said...

I like Greg Kinnear a lot too. I wish he was in more projects. :)

kalea_kane said...

It is sooo cute, Mimi! I totally had no idea what a gem it was until we started watching it. :) FINALLY something worth watching on HBO. I hate to say it, but HBO has been totally disappointing. :)

kalea_kane said...

Luanne, I think Ricky Gervais is amazing! It is amazing how his character is so likeable yet such a dink! :)

Alyce said...

I really wanted to see this one when it came out, and I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for sharing!

kalea_kane said...

That is how it was for me too, Alyce. It was total luck that it was on when we turned the television on. I would have probably forgot about it. It is really very sweet. :)

Happy Sunday!

Toni said...

Thank you... I am going to look to watch this.. I need a little funny ha ha in my life. Perfecto. Thank you for the review.